A fundamental cornerstone of any website is a means of capturing visitor email addresses. This is commonly known as a ‘lead magnet’. In this article I’m going to show you the simple steps to follow when using the WP Quicklaunch Page Builder in setting up a Mailchimp subscriber lead magnet. Many of the steps such as obtaining a Mailchimp API key are common to integrations other than the Page Builder.
We will complete the following tasks:
- Login to your Mailchimp account and decide which list you’re going to use to integrate with your lead magnet. This will be the list that subscribers are added to from your website lead magnet page.
- Create and copy a Mailchimp API (This is the little piece of magic that ties your website and Mailchimp together)
- Create a landing page where your download will be available.
- Add a ‘Subscribe’ module. Either to an existing page or create a custom landing page where the subscribe module will be added including adding the Mailchimp API and a link to the download page.
Setting up a Mailchimp subscriber lead magnet – Mailchimp API key
- Login to your Mailchimp account and click on ‘Lists’. You will be able to set up a new list or decide which existing list you want to connect subscribers to.
- To get your API Key click on the account name at the top right hand side where you will get the following options:
3. Click on ‘Account’ from the drop down menu and on the Account page select Extras > API Keys. From here you can click on the ‘Create a Key’ button to create and copy or copy an existing API Key if you’ve previously set one up. (The API Key is just a long list of numbers and letters)
4. Add the Subscribe form by dragging from the Page Builder Advanced Modules to the position on your page where you want it.
5. Once in the Subscribe module on the General tab select Mailchimp from the many options on the drop down list. Give it an Account name for your reference and then paste your API key. Select the Mailchimp list you are linking subscribers to as determined earlier from your Mailchimp account.
6. Staying on the General tab in the Subscribe module we now scroll down to the ‘Success’ section. This is where you can customise the message your visitor will receive once they’ve subscribed. In this case we simply add some text along the lines of ‘Thank you for subscribing. Click here to get your free download’ and create a hyperlink to the page you previously set up with the download content.
Alternatives to Mailchimp
If you don’t have a mail service account such as Mailchimp you can still use the process described here. Simply use your own email address account as the destination for the new subscriber in which case the details will be sent directly to you via email.
WPQuicklaunch makes editing and creating website content to gather subscribers easy, follow these steps and use the Quicklaunch platform to start gathering subscribers right away.